Saturday, December 19, 2009

USAC Mechanic Clinic Summary

Now that the Mid Atlantic is getting pounded with snow I finally have the chance to update about my journey to Colorado Springs to become a USA Cycling licensed race mechanic.

On the first day of the course we meet in one of the conference rooms of the Olympic Training Center. We were greeted and divided up randomly into 4 groups and then got our learn on!


The Olympic walk


I got to see some Olympic Athletes playing some Ping Pong


Mechanics can from all over the country to take part in the race mechanic clinic. some mechanics traveled from Japan, New Zealand, and United Kingdom.

On the second day of the clinic we took a field trip to the 7-11 Velodrome

These banked turns are steeper than NASCAR's!


My classes mates in the velodrome


We got to check out the shop area of the velodrome

Cool posters on the wall


Mavic Neutral Support was there and taught us how to properly exchange wheels in a race situation


Mark from Mavic taught us the proper technique

Pro mechanics don't get on their knees


Calvin from park tools showed us how to wash bikes


This is how dirty bikes get clean


The last day of the course we had a expo with all the manufacturers and instructors


DI2 TT controls

These controlers are much cooler than the drop handle bar shifter that I installed at the shop

My 15 minutes of fame on usacycling.org
Here I am with Dave from Shimano learning how to use the diagnostic tool for the DA-7970 (DI2)


Certificate time!!!
Here I am with TJ Grove one of the best and most respected mechanics in the USA
TJ has been to the Olympics and World Championships for the US National team


USA Cycling Bill Woodul Race Mechanic Clinic Class of 2009

The 2009 USA Cycling Bill Woodul Race Mechanic Clinic has been something I have wanted to go to the past 2 years. It was completely worth it. I'm proud of myself that I finally went and became certified.

Now I am just waiting to get my License in the mail






No comments: