Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Massanutten Yee-Ha! 2008


On Friday morning I meet up with the Bosch and we loaded his truck and headed to the Gravity East Series # 1 : Massanutten Yee -Ha DH race in Va. We stopped in Maryland to meet up with the man behind the Racer's Edge, Mike Hartlove, and loaded the freshly graphictized Racer's Edge trailer.After a 3 hour drive from the Racer's Edge compound we ended up @ the Pit area @ the Yee-Ha. We set up our Pit next to the now former Rocky Mountain rep, Joey. Joey is really friendly and has every tool I forget to pack! He was my contact man with RMB when I work for Eastern Mountain Suck, he also has the fastest kids on the east coast circuit right now, Neko and Logan.
We prepped our race weapons and headed off to practice.

Pretty sweet Trailer.

The course was pretty gnar, wet and muddy. This track was raced in the 1997 UCI DH World Cups.
So I had to make sure my ride was clean, tight, and lubricated for the race!

Pretty Sharp looking room. Notice the piece of replacement dry wall to the upper left of Peter's head. We never saw it until we looked @ the photo on the camera. Photo's don't lie!!
Dined on some sweet vittles @ Hank's smoke house. I had the catfish fry!

Cruisin the parking lots back to the room we drank with some fellow racers from the deep south. "Blue" the guy in the orange hat was probly the oldest guy racing that weekend.

Aww Phat Man. I met him on the mountain at the start line. I heard him coming with his cow bell. He has a cow bell attached to his SIC handle bar to let people know he's coming.
"Moo bitch get out the way"

So we were all to loud security came and told us to keep it down and to not drink out of bottles.

Leaving for my race run. the_SHT is now Gravity

So, I didn't win. I placed 19th out of 27. I crashed 3 times.

Neko is one fast 15 year old. He won the Junior class.
He placed 2nd @ the worlds junior qualifier the weekend before. Even if he had won, he's not old enough to be on the team. The world just isn't prepared for Neko yet!

Jurgen Beneke took the pro class.
I was just reading an article about him and the feud with Mark Weir and the Downieville Classic in Mountain Bike magazine last week. It was pretty cool to meet somebody that is a World Cup Champion.... and I just read an article about. Beat Weirs Ass Jurgen

Picture from my race run. In between crash 2 and 3

My Goal for the 2008 DH season:
Finish with a good time with no crashes.

Derailedonline.com Results (pdf)
Derailedonline.com Pictures
Pictures
Really good Pictures

No comments: