Saturday, March 22, 2008

Long Walk Back To The Car

There is a first time for everything. First bike. First skinned knee. First love. First broken heart.
I had my first Chain break today. It was a long time coming. I could have avoided it, I was being careless.

Before a ride last week with the Boschinator, I decided to check my chain with my trusty Parks chain checker. It was wooped, so was the cassette. Installed a new XT cassette and a handed down chain from Slick Rik, because we were out of 9spd Sram chains. I will never run a Shimano chain, unless it comes stock on my bike. So I went with the ghetto chain. Ghetto, because it was held together by 2 power links.
Come Friday I'm thinking about putting a new drive train on my DH bike. I was holding a 9spd Sram chain in my hand and said, "Naw, I'll wait until I get the rest of my parts (mainly the Sicness cranks) from SIC to build the DH back up to race specification. I totally forgot about my neglected XC bike, didn't replace the chain, and had to walk 1.8 miles back to the Honda.

Before the mechanical I was having a great solo ride in my beloved Brandywine.
Shit happens! You just have to deal with it!

1 comment:

Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

dude, open your rss feed so I can put you on my reader...

sorry about your chain.